Platform Engineering Team Lead
Working at Ito World
We’re a mission-driven and diverse team of 85+ people from over 18 countries with a passion for technology and transportation. We’re interested in talented, curious people that share our mission and love data as much as we do.
What we do
At Ito World, we solve transportation challenges across the globe for millions of travellers every day, by delivering real-time transit data feeds to journey planners and a platform for transit authorities and operators. Our clients include Google, Apple, Microsoft and public sector organisations such as the Department of Transport and Transport for West Midlands.
We are looking for a talented team lead to join our Platform Engineering team at Ito World. You will already have experience building and maintaining large cloud-based infrastructures and will work as part of a close-knit team with our highly skilled engineers. We’re looking for someone with great attention to detail, who’s dedicated and takes real pride in running robust platforms delivering products used by millions of people every day.
You will be joining Ito during an exciting period of expansion. In time you will be expected to take on leadership, mentoring and line-management responsibilities to support this growth, so we’re looking for someone who is interested in progressing on the people manager track to a team lead position.
Ito World has a flexible and remote working culture and will consider applicants that want to work fully remote from anywhere in the UK. We also have an office in Cambridge to accommodate those who prefer to work onsite / hybrid.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the Head of Infrastructure & Operations the role will:
- Lead and mentor fellow team members.
- Develop and maintain a large cloud-based infrastructure providing services globally.
- Ensure that Ito is using the latest technologies and best practices when building, deploying and monitoring servers and their applications.
- Continue to review and migrate our applications to more of a self-service platform.
- Liaise with different engineering teams to provide infrastructure support
- Support and administer our portfolio of products and services to ensure the data that underpins them is accurate and up to date.
- Find ways to improve our server IT procedures that scale with our international expansion.
- Provide support both internally and externally on server and data related issues.
- As the team grows, take on line-management responsibilities.
What you need to have
- Proven DevOps, Platform Engineering or SRE experience in a fast-paced commercial environment.
- Demonstrable experience of managing a cloud-based infrastructure, preferably AWS.
- A good understanding of networking.
- Experience of the Linux OS, its command line and scripting capabilities.
- Experience with Docker and container based architectures.
- Experience with deployment and automation frameworks such as Terraform.
- Suitable scripting experience in Python or similar.
- A good understanding of security best practices.
What you need to be
- A team player with proven experience working as part of an open, collaborative team.
- An excellent communicator who is able to work across teams and with people at all levels.
- Committed to self-development and a subject-matter expert with the ability to undertake research, make recommendations and deliver against your plans
- A person who is not afraid to tackle difficult situations and provide constructive feedback to help others improve.
- Innovative and able to prototype potential solutions, exploring cloud native technologies where appropriate.
- Well organised with a logical and methodical approach and a good eye for detail.
- Have the ability to multitask, meet tight deadlines and manage changes to workload.
What is also desirable
- Previous leadership experience
- Experience of CI/CD frameworks and version control systems such as Git.
- Experience of serverless and cloud native architectures, especially Lambda functions.
- An AWS or similar certification.
- Experience of maintaining large scale, highly available APIs.
- Experience of monitoring and alert systems such as CloudWatch and Grafana.
- Kubernetes experience and/or certification
What we offer
- Flexible & remote working to suit all lifestyles and life stages.
- Enhanced pension and health insurance after 2 years' service.
- Life Assurance.
- 25 days + bank holidays as standard.
- Flexible Public Holidays - option to swap up to 5 UK public holidays to celebrate the festival of your choice. Choose an alternative day that fits your personal values, beliefs or celebration calendar better.
- New parents take a day off to celebrate your child’s first birthday.
- Enhanced parental leave policy.
- Wellbeing and employee assistance programme.
- Cycle to work scheme subject to eligibility.
- Free bike repair service for those that commute by bike.
- Free breakfast and snacks when working from the office.
- Regular team lunches and team socials.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion at Ito World
At Ito World we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
By submitting this application you agree to Ito World retaining your personal data on a "legitimate interest" basis. For further details see our privacy statement.