Lead Python Developer
Working at Ito World
We’re a mission-driven and diverse team of 85+ people from over 18 countries with a passion for technology and transportation. We’re interested in talented, curious people that share our mission and love data as much as we do.
What we do
At Ito World, we solve transportation challenges across the globe for millions of travellers every day, by delivering real-time transit data feeds to journey planners and a platform for transit authorities and operators. Our clients include Google, Apple, Microsoft and public sector organisations such as the Department of Transport and Transport for West Midlands.
The Lead Python Developer role
We are looking for a talented Lead Python Developer to join our development team at Ito World. You will be an experienced Lead Python Developer who excels in managing a team of developers, architecting software systems and writing code and documentation.
You will need to be an excellent team-player who is able to contribute to our highly-skilled development team. The Lead Python Developer will also have great attention to detail, and are passionate about delivering high-quality code that has been well tested and documented.
What you’ll do
As a key member of the team, you will be working in an environment that values your enthusiasm and ideas as well as your development skills, experience and leadership abilities. Reporting to the Software Development Manager, the Lead Python Developer role will involve:
- Providing leadership, mentoring and training to a team of developers.
- Recruiting to grow the development team.
- Setting of objectives and undertaking regular appraisals
- Being a role model for the team, supporting and guiding them through engineering challenges and decision making.
- Developing the technology that underpins our micro-mobility and transit data systems.
- Establishing a technical vision for the team and working to achieve it.
- Helping interpret product requirements into technical solutions decomposed into small enough pieces to be implemented by members of the team.
- Ensuring the platform is well-documented, and changes are communicated to other team members
- Modelling best practices for testing, code reviews and Continuous Integration.
What skills you have
We expect the Lead Python Developer to have skills in the following areas:
- At least 5 years’ experience with Python in a commercial environment using frameworks such as Django or Flask (Django preferred).
- Experience of leading a software development team of around 3-5 people.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development methodologies as a scrum-master working with product managers and other project stakeholders.
- Educated to at least degree level
- A knack for mentoring your fellow team members, sharing knowledge and best practices, and motivating them to improve.
- An innovative and creative approach to software development
- Experience handling, analysing and distributing large amounts of complex data
- A disciplined approach to troubleshooting and diagnosing faults
- Ability to communicate effectively with other developers, testers and product managers.
- A firm grasp of Git or SVN, release processes, and source-control workflows.
What would be desirable
In addition to the above, we hope that you might bring other skills and experience into the mix, including any of the following.
- Jira or other issue tracking/sprint management systems
- Agile (Scrum/Kanban) environment
- Docker and container services
- Continuous Integration, build systems, and build/test pipelines
- Familiarity of transit systems, routing techniques and transit planning
- Coud-first or cloud-native application architectures
- Software development in a Linux environment
- Some exposure to other languages such as C++ or Java
What we offer
- Flexible & remote working to suit all lifestyles and life stages.
- Enhanced pension and health insurance after 2 years' service.
- Life Assurance.
- 25 days + bank holidays as standard.
- Flexible Public Holidays - option to swap up to 5 UK public holidays to celebrate the festival of your choice. Choose an alternative day that fits your personal values, beliefs or celebration calendar better.
- New parents take a day off to celebrate your child’s first birthday.
- Enhanced parental leave policy.
- Wellbeing and employee assistance programme.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Free bike repair service for those that commute by bike.
- Free breakfast and snacks when working from the office.
- Regular team lunches and team socials.
Equity, diversity and inclusion at Ito World
At Ito World we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
By submitting this application you agree to Ito World retaining your personal data on a "legitimate interest" basis. For further details see our privacy st