Business Development Manager
Working at Ito World
We’re a mission-driven and diverse team of 100+ people from over 18 countries with a passion for technology and transportation. We’re interested in talented, curious people that share our mission and love data as much as we do.
What we do
At Ito World, we solve transportation challenges across the globe for millions of travellers every day, by delivering real-time transit data feeds to journey planners and a platform for transit authorities and operators. Our clients include Google, Apple, Microsoft and public sector organisations such as the Department of Transport and Transport for West Midlands.
The Business Development Manager role
As a member of Ito’s growing commercial team and reporting to the Commercial Director, the Business Development Manager will play a pivotal role in creating and developing relationships with clients and most importantly closing sales. You will be primarily working on opportunities for our Ito Transit Hub Product, our solution for cities, transit agencies and operators.
The Business Development Manager will be responsible for researching potential customers in Ito’s target market segments, identifying the right contacts and building a relationship with them. You will work with technically skilled colleagues to understand customers’ needs and propose and ultimately deliver solutions from Ito’s product portfolio. You will also be responsible for negotiating with clients on aspects such as price, scope and contract terms. Once a sale has been made, then in many cases you will also have ongoing account management responsibility for the sales you make.
We’re looking for someone with a strong background in selling complex technical solutions, with confidence, and a natural aptitude for in-depth interactions with senior level client contacts and with colleagues alike. You will be working alongside a Solutions Engineer who will help elicit the customer’s requirements and shape a solution to meet their needs - although you will be the prime architect of the sales process and how early stage leads are turned into successful sales.
The ideal Business Development Manager will have demonstrable experience in a similar client-facing role in a fast growing tech startup.
We are a UK remote-first company and a proudly accredited flexible working organisation. This means that our team members have the option of working remotely from anywhere in the UK of, if they wish, the option to work flexibly from our shared office in Cambridge.
What you’ll do
- Create your own sales plan and strategy to build a solid new business pipeline in your territories
- Drive revenue growth by prospecting, qualifying and negotiating new B2B and B2G business within your transit authority, transit agency, operator and government target customers
- Develop knowledge and expertise to understand how transit tech solutions are procured in different territories
- Listen to and understand the needs of the market. Build a network of industry contacts and key stakeholders, so that you understand the challenges agencies and operators face when doing their work and become a trusted influencer for them to approach old problems in new ways
- Work in partnership with our solution engineers to understand both new and existing customers’ operational and technical challenges, gather technical requirements and propose solutions that solve real customer problems
- Help shape the product roadmap by representing the voice of the customer to product management
- Work closely with the customer success team to deliver an exceptional customer experience
- Identify opportunities to attend and speak at industry webinars, training events and conferences to meet transit leaders and promote Ito’s transit tech solutions
- Maintain an accurate database and awareness of upcoming RFPs and procurements in your territories
The skills and experience you’ll have
- You have broad business and technology expertise with 5+ years in business development, ideally in a high growth software/technology company
- Proven business development experience and a track record of exceeding your quota
- Prior experience selling SaaS-based solutions to a technically minded, B2B or B2G customer base
- Experience managing multi-stakeholder projects by working collaboratively with internal functional teams
- Excellent organisational skills, attention-to-detail and the ability to self manage and focus on clear priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Excellent spoken and written communication, interpersonal, and relationship building skills
- Highly driven self-starter with the ability to open up new territories and achieve success by working independently and with a team
- Experience dealing with accounts where there are multiple stakeholders, often in different departments and with varying levels of seniority
- Excellent negotiation skills with a passion for creating win-win relationships
- Enthusiasm for the public transit and the ability to ‘get under the skin’ of the market and customer needs
Nice to haves
- Knowledge of the public transportation landscape including public transport authorities and operators
- Track record of winning of large government & public sector contracts
- Experience selling into B2B and B2G markets, particularly Europe, North America and Asia
What we offer
- Flexible & remote working to suit all lifestyles and life stages.
- Enhanced pension and health insurance after 2 years' service.
- Life Assurance.
- 25 days + bank holidays as standard.
- Flexible Public Holidays - option to swap up to 5 UK public holidays to celebrate the festival of your choice. Choose an alternative day that fits your personal values, beliefs or celebration calendar better.
- New parents take a day off to celebrate your child’s first birthday.
- Enhanced parental leave policy.
- Wellbeing and employee assistance programme.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Free bike repair service for those that commute by bike.
- Regular team lunches and team socials.
Equity, diversity and inclusion at Ito World
At Ito World we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
By submitting this application you agree to Ito World retaining your personal data on a "legitimate interest" basis. For further details see our privacy statement.